Migrating ScriptRunner for Jira
This page takes a look at the differences between ScriptRunner for Jira on Data Center and Cloud and which route might suit you best as you leave Jira Server, plus tips and resources.
If you use ScriptRunner for Jira Server to accelerate and support your business processes, it's worth understanding your options between Data Center and Cloud, and what may need to be implemented differently if you choose to move to Cloud.
Feature comparison: Data Center
This one is easy: everything the Server version of the app can do, the Data Center version can too.
Feature comparison: Cloud
We've listed below Cloud functionality at-a-glance for a quick comparison. Remember, some things work a little differently on Cloud, so we'd always recommend taking a closer look at documentation (linked for each feature!) to understand the differences if these features are critical for your processes.
The following features are fully implemented on Cloud:
- Workflow Postfunctions: Workflow postfunctions have been fully implemented on ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud.
The following features are partially implemented on Cloud:
The following features are implemented notably differently on Cloud:
- JQL Functions: Implemented as JQL Keywords and Enhanced Search.
- Script Listeners: Details of differences available here.
- Workflow Conditions: Jira Cloud Conditions and Validators are achieved through the use of Jira Expressions.
- Workflow Validators: Jira Cloud Conditions and Validators are achieved through the use of Jira Expressions.
These features aren't currently available in ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud, but we are actively scoping and seeking feedback about use cases for them:
- REST API
Please reach out to discuss how you would like to see these features brought to Cloud!
Tell us what you want to see
We’re keen to hear from you about what else you’d like to see on ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud. You can upvote suggestions or submit your requests here.
Video walkthrough of differences
For more specifics about how these features work in Cloud, please check out the ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud documentation or watch this migration webinar to see a side-by-side demo of the Cloud and on-premise apps.
Try ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud today
Explore what's possible first-hand with a free trial
Migration process: ScriptRunner from Jira Server to Cloud
There are two ways to migrate from ScriptRunner for Jira Server/Data Center to Cloud: manually, or using the Atlassian Cloud Migration Assistant.
Broadly speaking, the process is as follows:
- Analyse the purpose of your scripts
- Identify the equivalent feature in Cloud
- Adjust your scripts to be Cloud-ready (explained below)
Full details and more possible gotchas for each method are outlined in the documentation linked below.
One of the biggest gotchas for migration is the rewriting of scripts. As mentioned on the main ScriptRunner migration homepage, any migration from Server to Cloud requires some rewriting of your scripts. For instance, interactions with APIs will need to be replaced with calls to the appropriate REST APIs due to differences between Atlassian Cloud and Server infrastructure.
If the equivalent feature in Cloud for what you need does not exist yet, please let us know. We’re prioritising development based on feedback from you!
Migration process: ScriptRunner from Jira Server to Data Center
When it comes to migrating Jira on-premise, there are two main types of migration:
- Non-clustered: this is as simple as updating your ScriptRunner for Jira license
- Clustered: this also requires you to move your home directory to a shared location that all nodes can access
Full details of steps involved and potential gotchas to look out for can be found via the following link.
Jira Cloud Migration Assistant
This useful app comes as a pre-installed app on Jira Server and Data Center from version 7.6.0 onwards. Use it as a planning tool before you begin your migration to help you take stock of what apps you have, how they work on Cloud and more.
Jira Cloud Migration Assistant (JCMA) then helps you with the app migration journey itself. Side by side with Atlassian, we’ve been working on integrating ScriptRunner for Jira into JCMA to help you achieve the easiest migration path possible.
Get rapid insight into your Server or Data Center Jira instance ahead of migrations with Microscope | Power Audit for Jira Admins from our colleagues at Adaptavist (also part of The Adaptavist Group).
- Conduct project and workflow audits to save weeks of exploratory work.
- Identify your most and least used projects, archived or unused projects, and more.
- Generate a list of your workflow functions to unlock quick insight into your most critical and most underutilised apps and functions.
Script rewriting guide
We wrote a handy guide to help you prepare to migrate the functionality that you need in your new Jira home.
Don’t have the bandwidth to rewrite your scripts in-house? Whether it’s time restrictions, personnel changes or a lack of confidence holding you back, our colleagues at Adaptavist (also part of The Adaptavist Group) provide a scripting service to help get you up and running quicker.
- Get production-ready scripts on demand
- Available across ScriptRunner for Jira, Confluence, or Bitbucket
- Available across Server, Data Center and Cloud
Their team of Groovy and ScriptRunner experts are here to help you make the most of ScriptRunner and get back to what you do best: on premise or on Cloud!
Did you know that Adaptavist (also part of The Adaptavist Group) was named Atlassian Partner of the Year 2020 for Cloud Migration Services?
With a tried-and-tested, best practice approach to Atlassian tool migration, they’ve helped some of the world’s leading organisations move to Atlassian Cloud—guiding them every step of the way.
Let Adaptavist's team of migration experts help with scoping and planning through to delivery of your migration project.